CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 26, 2009


Perhaps I should begin by explaining the name of my blog. My daughter-in-law, Kendra, said it should mean something personal and be short. I pondered this for months. Hard! Finally I decided on the name of an old song my father taught me. I remember sitting close to him in the car as we traveled and singing this together. The words go like this:

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above,
Don't fence me in.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love,
Don't fence me in.

Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze,

And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees,

Send me off forever but I ask you please,

Don't fence me in.


Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle

Underneath the western skies.

On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder

Till I see the mountains rise.

I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
And I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences

Don't fence me in.

There's more to the song, but that's enough for here. We sang a lot in the car and that has always been one of my favorites. Plus, I'm very claustrophobic, love the big sky country I live in in Eastern Oregon, and need to have my space. What phrase could be more appropriate for my blog?



5 comments:

Kendra said...

looks great! cant wait for more!

Jill said...

Love it mom!!!! What a pretty blog!

Agnes said...

We love it mom!!!

We can't wait for the next post!

Mary said...

Perfect!

Jody said...

You forgot "aunt"! I love the name. Now, you need to encourage your sister to start one.