CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 27, 2009


This used to be my quiet time each evening. Pull open the Oregonian, read whatever, then finish with the crossword puzzle. Sometimes I could complete it and sometimes I could not. But I did it every night except Sunday. The Sunday puzzle is gigantic and not worth the time or trouble. Then I would snuggle down into my covers and read whatever library book I was working on until I was tired enough to go to sleep. I could read 2, even 3 books a week, depending on the books and how early I got started. Oh, the life!

But things have changed. . .

Now I have this new calling as gospel doctrine teacher. I teach every Sunday and we are studying the Doctrine & Covenants. There are teacher's manuals to study and class members guides to read. There are maps to be familiar with and Ensign articles to keep abreast of. There are commentaries to understand and church history to be knowledgeable about. Plus there are all the scriptures to study, ponder, and pray about. Can I just go back to planning women's conferences and speaking at sacrament meetings and attending meetings?

The problem... or the blessing... is this: It has become a compulsion to study all this "gospel doctrine". I have my trusty puzzle and novel beside me each night and intend to make use of them when I finish up with my studies, but I can't seem to put my studies down. Just one more chapter or one more page of explanation. It's a curious thing. I do complete my attempt at my crossword puzzle before turning out the light but by then I'm so tired I'm not very successful. I've read one novel in 4 weeks. That must be some kind of record for me. I think as I get better in preparing for my class I will reach some kind of compromise in my reading material, but also I think the Lord is pleased that I am finding joy in my true study of His word. I am learning that my time is well spent in gaining so much knowledge. Knowledge that I can't gain out of the novels that take time out of my life that has now been replaced with surprising joyful compulsion.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

I wish I had that same habit! It sounds great...

I'll bet you are an awesome teacher. Hopefully we can attend some of your lessons this summer!

Andy

Jill said...

Isn't it the greatest when we are compelled to do something and as stressful as it can be, we really take great pleasure from it!!! Love you!

Mary said...

I should have the same study habits are you do for my primary class. I could learn so much...

cynthia said...

Sheila thank you for sharing your blog with me. It's perfect. :) You are an awesome Gospel Doctrine Teacher and I look forward to getting to know you better as my visiting teacher. Cynthia